Advocacy and Lobbying 101: Legal tips for 501(c)(3) nonprofit advocates in Kansas
April 22, 2021 @ 10:00 am – 11:30 am
Join Kansas Action for Children and Health Forward Foundation for a virtual training on advocacy and lobbying in Kansas.
501(c)(3)s play an important role in educating the public about policy issues and actions taken by elected officials. Elected officials in Kansas vote on bills, make public statements and executive decisions, and set the course for public policy on a wide range of issues. These actions may be consistent with or conflict with a nonprofit’s position on an issue.
After this workshop you will have a clear understanding of how to maximize your advocacy, the kinds of advocacy activities 501(c)(3)s can engage in, and when a communication is considered lobbying.
Participants will learn:
- How federal tax law permits lobbying for charities and how lobbying is defined
- One easy step most charities can take to maximize the amount they’re allowed to spend on lobbying
- Tips for taking advantage of the narrow definitions of lobbying – which will help charities make the most of their lobbying limit
- Tips for understanding Kansas lobbying and ethics laws
- How to track your lobbying time and expenses so that your 501(c)(3) organization stays within its lobbying limits
This session complements the recently released Kansas Nonprofit Lobbying & Political Activity Guide produced by Bolder Advocacy in partnership with Kansas Action for Children. The guide provides analysis of federal and state law applicable to charities and other not-for-profit organizations that engage in lobbying, voter registration, or other political activities in Kansas.
Leslie Barnes, Senior Counsel, Alliance for Justice
Douglas C. Fincher, Attorney, Topeka
Adrienne Olejnik, Vice President, Kansas Action for Children
Health Forward Foundation
Kansas Action for Children
This is a virtual event. Registration is required to receive the Zoom event invite. Participants should have the latest version of Zoom installed.
Registration is closed.