- Affordable Care Act: Health Forward has funded multiple initiatives to inform the public about the legislation, increase enrollment in the health insurance marketplace and campaign for Medicaid expansion in Kansas and Missouri.
- Bi-State Nursing Innovation Center and CSI Academy: A funding partnership to create the Bi-State Nursing Innovation Center, a collaboration between universities and health care facilities to turn nurses’ insights into better processes and patient outcomes. The feature of the center was the Clinical Scene Investigator (CSI) Academy.
- Clean Indoor Air: Health Forward has supported efforts to pass clean indoor air ordinances in Kansas and municipalities on the Missouri side of the Greater Kansas City area.
- Head Start Trauma Smart: This innovative practice model was designed to address the high incidence of trauma that negatively impacts children’s lives. The model is currently provided in Head Start preschool programs in 26 counties in the Kansas City metro area and across Missouri, and includes around 3,200 children annually.
- HPV Initiative: Health Forward and the REACH Healthcare Foundation partnered and funded an initiative in 2007-2008 to provide free human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines for women (ages 18-26). The vaccine was available at a variety of facilities in a six-county service area. A total of 16,240 vaccines were provided to 10,546 girls and young women, far exceeding the initiative’s goal. Read the evaluation summary >>
- Nonprofit journalism: In 2014, Health Forward awarded a two-year grant to establish the Heartland Health Monitor, a collaborative between four not-for-profit news organizations to better cover health and heath care news across Missouri and Kansas. Read press release
- Regional Health Care Initiative: One of Health Forward’s first and longest funded initiatives, RHCI was established in 2007 and promotes innovative, collaborative approaches to providing health care to the uninsured and medically underserved in metropolitan Kansas City. Read the executive summary >>
- Specialty Care Referral Program: This project combines care provided in primary care safety net clinics with donated specialty care in a coordinated referral program led by medical societies.
- Tobacco tax: In 2006 and 2012, Health Forward provided support to implement a ballot campaign to increase the tax on tobacco products in Missouri.
- Truman Medical Centers: A 2008-2011 award allowed TMC to reconfigure its patient rooms to align with the acute care needs of its patients. Funding helped dramatically improve TMC’s emergency department and the retention of an appropriately staffed ED for behavioral health patients in crisis.
Decade of Difference